Wednesday 6 July 2016

Muse173 - Sunny Birthday Wishes


Here's my card for this week's Muse challenge (and Day 2 of #thedailymarker30day colouring challenge), where Anita gave us this warm inspiration:



I recently purchased the Online Card Class "Watercoloring for Cardmakers" - and I'm slowly working my way through the videos. Kristina Werner did a video on gradient washes and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to practice.

As usual, the watercolours got softer as they dried. I layered colour on a few times to try to intensify it, but this is as far as I got it. I'm happy with the blending. It's pretty, but not quite as dramatic as Anita's (she used distress ink and sponging, I believe).

I focused on:
-gradient background
-black focal point across the card, with vertical elements
-flower (I love that it looks like the line crossing the t is the flower's stem)

I used:
-Mama Elephant Birthday script die
-Taylored Expressions Flowers & Stems Little Bits die
-Simon Says Stamp Christmas Graphic
-Distress inks (Persimmon, Marmalade, Mustard Seed)

16 comments:

  1. Looks like you're getting the hang of these gradient washes, Ardyth. Well done! I love the look of that sentiment die. The flower is such a fun touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Goodness what a stunning card Ardyth - love your background, made all the more dramatic with the black die cuts.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is stunning and your background is the perfect setup for your design. I'm a failure at ink blending even with the new round sponge tool, but watercolor? So much more forgiving! If I remember, there are 3 of the OCC watercolor classes and each one teaches new and inspiring things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gradient wash looks wonderful and came out perfectly, Ardyth!!!! Love the sweet little flower on your stunning card!!!!
    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you background came out perfect! what a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVELY gradations, just superb!!! So inspiring. !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your CAS style. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love what you did here, Ardyth! The gradient background is just right to me. Thanks for the inspiration--hoping to CASE this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful Ardyth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the soft and dreamy background with this beautiful inlay sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another fabulous card, Ardyth. You have a real knack of breaking down card elements and then completely turning it into your own recognisable style..love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Ardyth, this is gorgeous ... the soft wash is so dreamy ... such a fantastic contrast with the black of the die cuts! Hugs & bisous, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe not as bright but it's still gorgeous and I love the enamel dot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. GASP!!! Yep - my new #1 Favorite Ardyth Card. Your shading is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.